News & Media
CMI has been a proud member of the DMV community for over a decade, with elite dance productions, annual concerts, workshops, local performances, and countless other outreach efforts.
Visit this page for CMI news, exciting announcements, and media coverage. Press inquiries should be directed to email@example.com.
May 22, 2019
Dear Capitol Movement family,
Amber Yancey and I started Capitol Movement 14 years ago, and we never dreamed that it would turn into the incredible organization it is today with three amazing companies. We are so proud of everything CMI has accomplished. All of the dancers, choreographers, staff, members, and volunteers, as well as friends and family who have supported them, are part of our story.
I would like to share that CMI is moving in a new direction, and that the upcoming season will be Capitol Movement’s last full concert season. We will culminate this final company season with a “Tribute Concert” on Saturday, November 23, featuring all three companies, to celebrate 15 years of building better lives through dance. The Capitol Movement Studio will also close its doors with final classes on Friday, November 15.
Immediately following the November “Tribute Show,” CMI will transition to an on-demand model, solely providing performance and teaching opportunities, as requests are received, to company members from this final 2019 season.
We are determined to make this last full season unforgettable and in the coming months, we are looking forward to:
- Holding our Summer Workshop Series as well as other workshops with special guest artists
- Continuing to provide our dancers with performance, teaching, and choreography opportunities
- Continuing to participate in community outreach programs with our “traveling classrooms,” offering local children the chance to dance and learn about the performing arts
- Coming together January 9, 2020, for our 15th Anniversary Celebration, a special, social event to bring all those who have ever been a part of the CMI family together to reminisce and celebrate our 15-year history
We recognize this news is hard to hear. Please know we love and appreciate everyone who has helped us build such a wonderful CMI community.
With Love & Gratitude,
Co-Founder, Capitol Movement, Inc.
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
• Best of DC
Download a PDF of Best Of DC
• Washington Life Magazine Coverage - 2007
Download a PDF of Washington Life Coverage 2007
• Washington Life Magazine Coverage - 2008
Download a PDF of Washington Life Coverage 2008
• Washington Life Magazine Coverage - 2010
Download a PDF of Washington Life Coverage 2010
Capitol Movement Workouts Now Available Online!
For anyone looking to have a quick workout at home, CMI’s got it covered! Capitol Movement is now on BurnAlong! Accessible via computer, phone or tablet, it’s a quick and easy way to access thousands of workouts from anywhere. We’re excited to join BurnAlong not just because we get to share our favorite exercises, but because our members get special discounts:
• 50% discount on an annual BurnAlong membership – only $60. Use Code: CapMy
• 40% discount on a monthly BurnAlong membership – only $8.99 a month, and comes with a free trial! Use Code: CapMove
Check out these videos below:
- As seen on WJLA Washington DC – by Good Morning Washington, Thursday, March 15, 2018 – Grooving with Capitol Movement Dance Company. View the entire post here. View the video below.
- The Capitol Movement Dance Company stops by the NBC 4 studio on March 19, 2013 to share a preview of what to expect during their performance at the Lincoln Theatre.
- The CMI Pre-Professional Company appears on Fox 5’s morning segment with Holly Morris in November 2010, showcasing their talents and teaching a few steps along the way.
Good Morning Washington
WJLA (ABC 7) 3-15-18
with Holly Morris
with Holly Morris
with Holly Morris
“The professional and welcoming environment that Capitol Movement offers is exactly what my daughter needed when we relocated to the DMV. Capitol Movement has taken my daughter to new levels in dance and entertainment by providing her with unique opportunities that push her towards her goal of having a career as a professional dancer. As a result, CMI has undoubtedly become our second family.”
-Sherita Flake, Mother of Pre-Pro Dancer